Sunday, September 21, 2008

Filtration

Sunday, September 21, 2008
It should be Saturday but at this point it doesn't matter. I am in good spirits and ready to filter the macerated horsetail. My flasks are too small so instead I grab a 26oz clean glass jar from pasta sauce place a steal funnel (glass funnel is preferable) on the top, a paper filter in the funnel and slowly bit by bit start pouring the macerated horsetail. When the tincture drips into the jar and the filter gets filled with the solid horsetail remains I drop them in the pot, take another filter and continue filtering until the solid and liquid parts are separated. I have drawn measurements on the jar. When all liquid is filtered, I end up with 330ml of filtered horsetail tincture.
This I immediately wrap in the black towel and store in the cool dark place (in our attic). (I haven't seen brown glass jars but they do sell beverages in brown glass bottles which would be a more desirable vessel for storing tincture).

No comments: