Sunday, September 21, 2008

The second Saturday of the Waxing Moon

September 9, 2008 5.30 a.m., the first Saturday of Waxing Moon. I am quite awake waiting for the sunrise, to begin maceration. (I missed the first Saturday of Waxing moon that glided over August 2nd, hence "the second" in the title; I felt unprepared and tired and decided to wait for another Saturday). Now I feel awake though slightly anxious as I rest my eyes on the soft contours of pulverized horsetail one more time. Once the top of my jar is removed my senses are immersed in the green landscape of smells. I inhale with gratitude for the last time before drowning the gentle valleys and hills in about 400 ml of brandy. (A lot more than was needed because I didn't pause often enough to allow the powder to absorb the alcohol. Naturally it was a little hard to tell when the brandy covered all powder by about 6mm (1/4 inch) - 70ml would be probably sufficient for my 61g of powdered horsetail. I make yet another mental note to myself: Don't be hasty)
I seal the jar again, making it air tight and let it macerate for 2 weeks wrapped in the black towel, hidden from the eyes of the sun in the warm corner of the dark closet. Alchemically, the spirit of wine (brandy) will separate the sulfur (soul) and mercury (spirit) of horsetail from it's body (salt).

No comments: