Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Quest for Field Horsetail (Equisetum arvense)

From what I understand, field horsetail is common and once established it is hard to eradicate. This genus of ferns "remembers" Carboniferous period. Rich in silicon, potassium and calcium it is a treasure reservoir for those with join aches or damaged hair. To my surprise it took me a while to find this hardy plant. I kept my eyes opened and at last, on Monday July 7th, 2008 I found the coveted ferns growing by a road in Keene Valley, a small mountain town in Adirondack .

Unfortunately, the conditions for harvest weren't ideal. It wasn't Saturn's day and the Moon wasn't full. Timing, among other factors, is essential. I am not aware of any scientific data that would support this statement. I simply follow the instructions when they feel right to me. I believe that everything is interconnected. Therefore it is essential to feel respect, love and appreciation toward the plant that is intended for medicinal, culinary, meditative or aesthetic experience. The relationship should be reciprocal. Just because the plant doesn't make any sounds or gestures towards me, it doesn't mean that it isn't experiencing my presence. Knowing that this was my last chance to personally harvest horsetail and avoid getting it commercially I grasped this opportunity nevertheless and hastily filled one paperbag with horsetail. Rushing the harvest was like asking some one for a favor without saying "please." Passing cars didn't help either and I only managed to fill up one bag with horsetail which felt far too light to be 2kg (4lb) that I needed.

Poking among the spindly arms of horsetail were white flowered heads of yarrow I picked few of those as well and transplanted them in my own garden. They adjusted well. Even few of the horsetail stalks that I placed in a pot sprouted new shoots within a week.

No comments: